I am a full professor in Computer Science at Hasselt University, member of the HCI lab of the imec research institute Expertise Centre for Digital Media, and deputy director of the same research institute. I do research in Human-Computer Interaction. I received both a M.Sc. in Knowledge Engineering and Computer Science from the transnational University Limburg, a joint university of Hasselt University, Belgium and Maastricht University, the Netherlands, in 2000. My PhD (2004) is in computer science from Hasselt University, Belgium where I am a professor since 2006.
I served as a co-chair for the CHI 2008 Work-in-Progress venue, was full paper co-chair for EICS 2011 and EICS 2013, general co-chair for EICS 2016, program chair for TAMODIA 2006, short paper co-chair for AMI 2012 and an Associate Chair for CHI 2014. I am member of the editorial board of Interacting with Computers, Frontiers in ICT – Human-Media Interaction and the International Journal on People-Oriented Programming. Special issues I edited can be found in ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS) (on interaction with smart objects), ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI) (on UIDLs for Next-Generation User Interfaces) and International Journal on Web Engineering and Technology (on XML-Based User Interface Description Languages). I serve in the steering board of ACM Engineering Interactive Computing Systems conference series and am member of the IFIP workgroup 2.7 User Interface Engineering. I co-founded TinkerTouch (2009-2015), a company that builds robust and high performance touch- and gesture-based user interfaces.
- I’ll be co-chairing the ACM SIGCHI EICS 2018 conference in Paris with Emmanuel Pietrega.
- Cross-disciplinary Symposium & Francqui Lecture series The future of interaction : from paper displays to interactive skin (February 23-26).
- Our HCI Lab has four full papers and one note for CHI 2016. Amongst others, work on fabrication and intimate peripheral displays will be presented.
- I’ll be co-chairing the ACM SIGCHI EICS 2016 conference with Philippe Palanque, in Brussels.
- We’ll present our work on mid-air gesture guidance and on floor visualizations for proxemic interaction at Interact 2015.
- PaperPulse will be featured at Siggraph 2015 as a studio and talk.
- 04/04/2015 Our HCI lab has two full papers, a note, one alt-chi paper, two work-in-progress papers, four workshop contributions and an interactivity demo accepted for CHI 2015
- 06/02/2015 Guest lecture on User Centered Software Engineering for the Master of ICT Enterprise Architecture students at Inno.com.
- 20/12/2014 Two HCI PhDs graduated from Hasselt University in 2014: Sean Tan and Jo Vermeulen.
- 08/08/2014 I’ll be giving the opening keynote at IHM’14
- 06/06/2014 EmpaTeX 2014 – Workshop on Empathic Television Experiences — This workshop will provide a forum to discuss and present different enabling
- 06/06/2014 EICS’2014 Doctoral Consortium
- 01/04/2014 EICS’2014 Doctoral Consortium — deadline for submissions: April 14 2014 technologies, promising application architectures and concepts that will turn the use of television sets and television broadcasts into engaging empathic experiences. Submissions by March 23
- 31/03/2014 Our article “Graphical Toolkits for Rapid Prototyping of Multimodal Systems: A Survey” in Interacting with Computers is available online now.
- 17/03/2014 Full paper on a textual DSL for Rapid Prototyping of Multimodal Interactive Systems accepted for EICS 2014
- 16/03/2014 Four papers (three full and one note) from our group accepted for DIS 2014
- 23/02/2014 We are running a survey on professional practices of designers and your input would be greatly appreciated (also: you can win gift vouchers).
- 24/01/2014 Our HCI lab has 4 full papers, one alt.chi paper, one interactivity demo, one Work-in-Progress paper and three workshop papers at CHI 2014