I am a professor in Computer Science at Hasselt University, member of the HCI lab of the research institute Expertise centre for Digital Media, and deputy director of the same research institute. I do research in Human-Computer Interaction.
I received both a M.Sc. in Knowledge Engineering and Computer Science from the transnational University Limburg, a joint university of Hasselt University, Belgium and Maastricht University, the Netherlands, in 2000. My PhD (2004) is in computer science from Hasselt University, Belgium where I am appointed as a professor since 2006.
I served as a co-chair for the CHI 2008 Work-in-Progress venue, was full paper co-chair for EICS 2011 and EICS 2013, general co-chair for EICS 2016 and EICS 2018, program chair for TAMODIA 2006, short paper co-chair for AMI 2012 and an Associate Chair for CHI 2014. I am member of the editorial board of Interacting with Computers, Frontiers in ICT – Human-Media Interaction and the International Journal on People-Oriented Programming. Special issues I edited can be found in ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS) (on interaction with smart objects), ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction (TOCHI) (on UIDLs for Next-Generation User Interfaces) and International Journal on Web Engineering and Technology (on XML-Based User Interface Description Languages).
I am chairing the steering committee of ACM SIGCHI Engineering Interactive Computing Systems conference series since 2017, am member of the IFIP workgroup 2.7 User Interface Engineering and I am a member of the ACM SIGCHI conferences board. I co-founded TinkerTouch (2009-2015), a company that builds robust and high performance touch- and gesture-based user interfaces.
- I’ll be co-chairing the ACM SIGCHI EICS 2018 conference in Paris with Emmanuel Pietrega.
- StrutModeling at UIST’2017
- Work on decision cards for design work and on personalized e-coaching in cardiac rehabilitation presented at Interact 2017
- 21/09/2017 I’ll be giving the closing keynote at ECCE’17
- Cross-disciplinary Symposium & Francqui Lecture series The future of interaction : from paper displays to interactive skin (February 23-26).
- Our HCI Lab has four full papers and one note for CHI 2016. Amongst others, work on fabrication and intimate peripheral displays will be presented.
- I’ll be co-chairing the ACM SIGCHI EICS 2016 conference with Philippe Palanque, in Brussels.
- We’ll present our work on mid-air gesture guidance and on floor visualizations for proxemic interaction at Interact 2015.
- PaperPulse will be featured at Siggraph 2015 as a studio and talk.
- 04/04/2015 Our HCI lab has two full papers, a note, one alt-chi paper, two work-in-progress papers, four workshop contributions and an interactivity demo accepted for CHI 2015
- 06/02/2015 Guest lecture on User Centered Software Engineering for the Master of ICT Enterprise Architecture students at Inno.com.
- 20/12/2014 Two HCI PhDs graduated from Hasselt University in 2014: Sean Tan and Jo Vermeulen.
- 08/08/2014 I’ll be giving the opening keynote at IHM’14
- 06/06/2014 EmpaTeX 2014 – Workshop on Empathic Television Experiences — This workshop will provide a forum to discuss and present different enabling
- 06/06/2014 EICS’2014 Doctoral Consortium
- 01/04/2014 EICS’2014 Doctoral Consortium — deadline for submissions: April 14 2014 technologies, promising application architectures and concepts that will turn the use of television sets and television broadcasts into engaging empathic experiences. Submissions by March 23
- 31/03/2014 Our article “Graphical Toolkits for Rapid Prototyping of Multimodal Systems: A Survey” in Interacting with Computers is available online now.
- 17/03/2014 Full paper on a textual DSL for Rapid Prototyping of Multimodal Interactive Systems accepted for EICS 2014
- 16/03/2014 Four papers (three full and one note) from our group accepted for DIS 2014
- 23/02/2014 We are running a survey on professional practices of designers and your input would be greatly appreciated (also: you can win gift vouchers).
- 24/01/2014 Our HCI lab has 4 full papers, one alt.chi paper, one interactivity demo, one Work-in-Progress paper and three workshop papers at CHI 2014